Smaller non profits:
- Search for a marketing generalist who works in an industry or company with a substantial database (eg the head office of a bank, insurance company, airline, retailer). A generalist will have absorbed enough during their day job to be able to advise you.
- LinkedIn groups and bulletin boards
- Stats and Analytics Consulting Group
- Lavastorm Analytics Community Group
- SAS Jobs Network
- Colleges and universities that offer programs on analytics (eg George Brown, Ryerson, Queens)
- the head office of a local company that is large enough to have a substantial database (e.g. head office of retailers such as Shoppers, Sobeys, Longos, the head office of banks, insurance companies, Aerogold, Air Miles)
- ask them to donate the time of one of their database managers or
- circulate the description internally to find a database manager who would volunteer on their own time.
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
Volunteer Job Description
Donor Database Analyst
We are a non-profit organizations which needs help to “mine” information from our donor database. We are a (describe your cause and organization).
We need you to help us:
- profile our donors and rank by profitability
- predictive modelling
- what types of new, potential donors should we actively pursue
- generate leads on existing donors that we could personally solicit into a major giver
- identify existing annual donors we could upsell to monthly
- identify existing donors most likely to agree to planned giving
- which existing donors are at highest risk of leaving
- how to overlay external information (market value of house by postal code, etc)
- suggest ways to improve our data integrity
- explore any donor anomalies
- identify donor segments by behaviour indicators on our donor database.
- suggest ways to divide our database so we could experiment with different marketing programs and track the results.
- Timing for each step is negotiable. Approximately 10 hours, over the next 3 months.
- approximately 3 meetings on site, other communication by email and phone
- you work as a team member with our staff, to give suggestions and help us think things through. Only staff will access the database.
- Your contact will be (name of staff person). For a bio, see link to our website.
- you will need to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- measure the difference you can make – results from your suggestions can be quantified for your resume (eg increased revenue by xx%, saved costs by xx%)
- meet new people outside your regular network
- give back to the community (… describe the cause of your non profit)
- honorarium $300
For recent graduates:
- learn data management for the non-profit industry
- learn how to be a consultant – feedback to you on your client management skills
- great addition to your portfolio
- your link on our website to increase traffic from search engines to your website
- we can be a reference for future jobs
- put the Unique Selling Proposition of your non profit here.
- Link to our Brand Checklist.
- here is a link to our website.