Where to circulate this volunteer job description:
- search nearby for the head office of a corporation large enough to have a marketing department. Ask if the corporation would (1) donate the time of one of their marketing staff or (2) circulate the description internally to find a marketing employee who would volunteer on their own time.
- approach a local consulting firm and ask to be taken on as a pro bono client to help them build their portfolio
- Toronto has 2 consulting charities whose entire mandate is to give free consulting.
- MAS volunteer consultants work one-to-one on projects covering governance, HR, fundraising, marketing, etc. It has 40+ consultants who are semi-retired professionals. See www.masadvise.org.
- Endeavour has a team of recent business school graduates who volunteer on large group projects. See http://www.Endeavourvolunteer.ca
- ask friends and family members to forward the description to their associates with a business degree (BComm, MBA, or equivalent).
- ask your Board of Directors to circulate the description to their connections
- LinkedIn, Facebook, your own website
- on-line volunteer posting lists with Charity Village and Volunteer Toronto.
Universities with business schools teaching B. Comm or MBA students:
- circulate through the alumni network of a local university.
- most universities offer a “business advisory program” which employs business students to act as consultants to local companies as summer jobs. Expect to pay a small fee.
- Contact the Academic Advisor of the Commerce Department of a local university to offer your non-profit as a subject for a “case study” in their Introductory Marketing course
- contact a professor in the Commerce Department of a local university to ask for contacts from their own networks (either recent graduates or local companies)
- Contact the “career placement officer” of the Commerce Department and ask for names of local corporations who have recruited recent marketing graduates. Follow up with those companies.
Volunteer Opportunity – Marketing Mentor
We are a non-profit organization which needs a marketing executive with expertise in brand management to mentor us and help us plan our marketing strategy, as a volunteer consultant.
We need you to:
- help us define our brand (promotion audit, clarify our message, summarize our brand into a checklist)
- help us analyze the efficiency of our revenue streams and the churn of our donor portfolio
- be available to answer questions
- (see Menu of Projects for other ideas)
- approx 3 hours/month, from now till December 201x
- timing can be when its convenient for you — no scheduled meetings
- most communication by meeting, telephone and email
- initial orientation session
- must sign a confidentiality agreement and a volunteer contract.
- Your primary contact will be (name of staff person). Other contacts include (names). For biographies, see link to our website.
What’s in it for you?
- contribute on a strategic level only — no implementation
- measure the difference you can make – results from your suggestions can be quantified for your resume (eg increased revenue by xx%, saved costs by xx%)
- meet new people outside your regular network
- give back to the community (… describe the cause of your non profit)
- honorarium $500
- learn marketing in a new industry
- learn how to be a consultant
- we can be a reference
- senior marketing manager or director level
- proven ability to inspire and challenge junior staff
- product management experience in the for-profit sector
- ability to find inexpensive solutions to problems
- copywriting and editing skills when reviewing our website and videos
- some exposure to managing a sales force is an asset (similar to our fundraising needs)
- put the Unique Selling Proposition of our non profit here.
- Link to our website.